Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lights, Action, Camera!


At the December 14th regular Board of Alderman meeting things happened that I can't figure, some things that were just ridiculous, and others that are difficult to explain. It was a long agenda and the room was full of spectators. Some of the things said last night were downright aggravating but I'm going to try hard not to let my disgust show through and that's going to be difficult at best.

I guess the thing that irritated me the most was Ward Two aldermanic candidate Donna Sherwood's bi-weekly photo-op. If I were her handler (there's a disgusting visual, now I just pissed myself off, sorry) and she demanded to get up before the camera at every meeting I'd advise her to just smile and keep her mouth closed, because sometimes voters actually listen to what candidates say and not just look at a pretty face and a great body. She seems to think that the "Open Forum" portion of the City meeting is for campaining—her attempts to dazzle the public with her knowledge of the city is pathetic. It amazes me that every time she runs for office (six months prior to the election), she gets up at every meeting and asks some totally useless question. Last night in her cameo performance she asked; "Will the increase in sewer rates negate the $500,000 real estate tax reduction?" Since no one in the room knew how to add or subtract oranges from apples the question was never really answered. I would advise her to study up on how things work before embarrassing herself with absurd questions. But I guess she thinks face-time is more important than what she says. I urge my readers to watch the city website videos "Open Forum" to catch her regular comedy show and keep those images in mind when you vote. (Oooops! I guess I didn't do so well in my attempt at not showing my aggravation, oh well, I'll try harder.)

The city towing contract was brought before the board for approval. This contract should have been approved almost six months ago but due to process problems it was held up. The motion and second to approve was made and opened for discussion. Alderman Nick Guccione asked; "Shouldn't we postpone the vote until we let the new Chief of Police review the contract? President of the Board, Leon Tow noted that the next regular meeting isn't until mid-January and the new chief doesn't start until just prior to the meeting. Tow stated, "The Acting Chief, Kevin Pyatt and his staff reviewed the contract and made their recommendation. They know more about the towing needs in Wentzville than the new chief would." The vote to approve was unanimous.

Most of the meeting focused on the budget and contracts. Alderman Rick Stokes was agitated about not being apprised of the sewer rate increase and made it known, "This will not happen again, someone will be fired." Stokes also made a point to the many city employees that when the city receives increases on insurance premiums, it's not fair that taxpayers carry the full burden. He told the employees that it is no reflection on them and they were all doing a very good job in the city, but he has to represent the people of Wentzville who put him in office to be a watchdog of their tax dollars.

Footnote: Over the past six  months or so, a few individuals have complained to me about being pressured into participating in Mayor Lambi's GAP 1 program. I had advised them to complain to Alderman Leon Tow about their situation because I can't do anything about it. Yesterday, I received a phone call from one of them who contacted his attorney regarding the mayor and the possibility of influence peddling. Due to recent developments in city hall regarding this matter, he may very well lodge an official complaint. He went on to say that he had heard the mayor may resign—he's going to wait until sometime in January to see if that happens. The dominoes may start falling.

11 comments:

  1. I would like to take exception with your negative remarks directed at Donna Sherwood. Judging by her last name, it seems to me that she must be from from the same neighborhood as Robin Hood - Sherwood Forest. And any good liberal knows, you have to rob from the rich and give to the poor. This lesson has made a lasting impression alot of great people, like Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Nancy Pelossi, etc. So if you consider her line of reasoning from this perspective, I'm sure you'll begin to see the true level of her intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alderman Stokes is not as high and mighty as you would think. Most of the time he makes irrational comments leaving the rest of the board dumbfounded. It's also very obvious that Ricky doesn't even read over his board agenda packet before most meetings. Seems to me that Ricky's solution for any given situation is to fire someone, "give me seven names of employees that we can let go". Watch the tapes, it's in there. How is it that Rick Stokes is the only aldermen that didn't know about the sewer rate increase? Have a seat at the kids table Rick, and let the adults talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy to take things out of context and make inferrences, I've been called a master of it. However, I was at the meeting where Alderman Stokes made the statement; "...or give me seven names." You inferred that he said "...of employees we can let go." What he said in full was: "I want the $500,000 tax cut, or give me seven names." He implied "to fire" but he never actually said it.
    In his defense, I spoke with Alderman Stokes about this very thing. He told me that he had no intention of firing anyone, the statement was made to send a strong message to the City Administrator and Directors how serious he was about the budget cut. I do however agree that he needs to curb his implications and inferrences to "fire" anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must apologize for my misquote of Aldermen Stokes, let me try this again. His exact words according to the August 31 meeting approximately 3 hours and two minutes into the taped session "give me the names of seven people, we'll give them a severance package, whatever we need to do we'll lay off and I'll get a half million bucks". Stokes actually seems like a descent person but I'm just not sure he's alderman material. Just my thoughts, not trying to offend anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take exception to the comment that Alderman Stokes not being "alderman material." His job is to represent the citizens of Ward 3 in the efficient and effective management of taxpayers money. I believe he has proven that there is waste spending in our city and in doing so has stepped on a few toes.
    The reduction of one-half million dollars from the budget and having our acting city administrator (finance director) acknowledge that it is sustainable, tells the whole story. It is my opinion that his request falls far short of trimming the excess out of Wentzville and hope this board of aldermen continue their efforts of harnessing our bloated bureaucracy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna Sherwood is Nick Guccione's campaign manager? I feel sorry for Mr. Guccione having her promote him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree, Donna Sherwood is a pushy and obnoxious old woman, why anyone would want her to manage his campaign leaves me questioning his intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who is Donna Sherwood? I've watched the city videos and there she is, why does she want to be an alderman? What are her qualifications and credentials?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Regarding Donna Sherwood, I've asked those same questions every time she's campaigned. When she talks at the meetings in "Open Forum, I get a kick out of her making sure she turns around to face the camera instead of adressing the board. Maybe she wants to be a star.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I met Donna Sherwood last week and in the first two minutes listening to her I knew who to vote for...her opponent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish everyone would quit bashing Mrs. Sherwood. She is just a poor elderly lady on Social Security who is trying to increase her monthly income.

    ReplyDelete